FIT and FORM
1. Is there a way I can check to see if an Akari® insert will fit my helmet faceshield before I buy one?
Yes. There is a sizing template for each model available for download on the website. Visit the installation section on the Akari® product page at www.amipowersports.com. Download, print, and cut out the sizing template. With your helmet faceshield down and fully closed, center the sizing template on the outside surface of the faceshield. Align the template within the perimeter of the helmet portal to see if it fits within the opening. The Akari® inserts are not compatible with all facheshields and helmets, specifically the HJC® RPS-10, Shark® Evoline and dual-sport helmets.
2. Is the Akari® insert removable? Can I transfer my insert to another faceshield?
Yes! The insert may be removed and transferred to a new faceshield, although the button is not transferrable. You may purchase a replacement Akari® button by visiting www.amipowersports.eu/shop. After removing the faceshield from your helmet, gently pull the insert off of the faceshield by the tab located on the upper corner of the insert. If you set the insert down before re-installing it on a new faceshield, be sure to set it down adhesive side up. Then, follow the standard installation instructions in the Akari® Owner’s Manual.
3. What happens if the seal on the insert breaks?
The insert utilizes a tiny amount of a dyed liquid crystal mixture. This liquid will leak if the seal is broken. If it comes in contact with the skin: Remove the excess of material and wash with soap and water. Contact with eyes: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Liquid crystal mixture will stain clothing.
4. The flexible ribbon (“flex”) for the external button wraps underneath my faceshield. Will this allow rain and extra wind noise to get in? Will it keep my visor from fully closing?
After rigorous testing, we have not found helmet faceshields to leak moisture or extra noise. The flex is extremely thin and durable, measuring only .15mm in thickness. Therefore, it will not affect the ability of the faceshield to fully close.
5. What if my faceshield has pins? Will I still be able to install my Akari®
If you have a faceshield with pins, you may install the insert following our standard installation instructions. Then, simply trim the mesh around the pins using normal household scissors.
6. When my faceshield is closed, does the insert cover the entire faceshield, or is there a gap around the edges?
There is a very small gap between the perimeter of the insert border and the edge of the helmet portal. Since all helmets have a different size “field of view”, the insert was designed to fit nearly all helmet portals. The insert covers an average of 96-98% of the helmet portal.
7. What is the operational temperature of the insert?
You should not operate your Akari® insert in temperatures lower than 14°F (-10°C) or higher than 113°F (45°C).
8. Can I use my Akari® insert at night?
Akari inserts are intended for day use only.
BATTERY AND CHARGING
9. How long does the battery last?
The Akari®’s e-Tint® technology relies on an applied voltage to orient the liquid crystals. It uses very little current. In the light state (off), the insert battery will remain charged for approximately three (3) weeks. A fully charged the insert may have up to thirty (30) hours of tinted use, depending on usage. Like any electronic product (i.e. a cellphone, mp-3 player, etc.) the battery will eventually die and this will constitute what we describe as “reaching the end of its life”. The insert battery is able to withstand, on average, 600 full charge cycles (meaning a full re-charge and then die) and retain up to 30 hours of tinted “usage” time. Ultimately, the “usage” time (or life of the battery) depends on the rider’s frequency of use. A fully depleted battery will take at least 2 hours to fully charge. A fully charged Akari® inserts will stay charged for use for up to three weeks.
10. Should I let my insert fully charge before using it the first time?
Yes. It is good practice with any rechargeable system to fully charge the battery before its first use. Then, let it fully drain and recharge it again. This establishes the battery recharging system.
11. What happens if the battery loses power while I am riding?
The “fail safe” position of the insert is the light state (off). If the battery loses power while you are riding, the visor insert will instantly turn off.
12. Will the insert be damaged if I leave it plugged into my computer or an outlet for days on end? Can I unplug it while it is charging?
It is not recommended to leave the insert connected to a charging source for long periods of time as it may cause the battery to expand. Yes, you may unplug the insert from its charging source while charging. There is no special way to ‘eject’ the insert from its charging source; simply unplug it.
13. I lost my charging cord. Where do I get a new one?
The Akari® inserts use a micro-USB charging port. You can find a new cable on www.amipowersports.eu/shop
14. How do I know when the device is done charging?
During charging, the insert will stay on. When the insert is fully charged it will switch to the light state (off).
15. What kind of wall adapter can I use with my micro USB cable? Where can I purchase one?
Any standard, universal USB wall adapter can be used with the supplied micro USB cable. Most cell phones now include a wall adapter for charging; this adapter works fine. You may purchase a universal wall adapter at most stores that carry electronic products and accessories.
16. At what minimum and maximum temperature am I able to operate the insert?
You may use your Akari® insert in temperatures no lower than 14°F (-10°C) and no higher than 113°F (45°C).
17. At what minimum and maximum temperature am I able to charge the insert?
You may charge your Akari® insert in temperatures no lower that 32°F (0°C) and no higher than 113°F (45°C).
18. At what minimum and maximum temperature am I able to store the insert?
You may store your Akari® insert in temperatures no lower than 14°F (-10°C) and no higher than 113°F (45°C).
TINT, LIGHT, and THRESHOLD
19. Can I adjust the tint level of the insert?
No. At this time, AMI Powersports only offers an insert that switches from one light state to one dark state.
20. What is the light transmission of the Akari® insert?
The transmission of the Akari® insert is < 20% (dark state; ON) and > 60% (light state; OFF).
21. What is meant by “auto”? Does it have a light detector?
The Akari® inserts have a small light sensing photo-cell built into the side of the electronics button. The button is simply pushed once to turn the insert either on or off, or the button is held in for three (3) seconds to flash, indicating that it has switched to automatic mode. The insert will automatically turn on or off when activated by light.
22. What is a light threshold?
The light threshold is the light level at which the insert will turn on or off. This can only be adjusted for use in automatic mode.
23. If I hold the button (while in manual mode) between 6 and 12 seconds, will the insert activate in automatic mode AND change the light threshold at the same time?
No. The cell will flash three (3) times to indicate the mode change, but the button must be released before performing another action (e.g. changing the light threshold).
24. When I go outside, the insert rarely switches on while in automatic mode. What does this mean and how do I fix it?
The light threshold is not properly set for your lighting condition. If the insert is rarely turning on and is usually off, then your threshold is set too high. See the Directions of Use in the Owner’s Manual to adjust the light threshold to your desired setting. DO NOT attempt to operate a vehicle without first setting the light threshold to your desired lighting condition. If the problem persists after changing the light threshold please use manual mode only and contact Customer Service.
25. While in automatic mode, the insert switches on/off, but I would still like to change the light threshold. What is the proper way to do this?
Take the insert into an area that has the lighting you feel you would want the insert to be active in. Then, follow the light threshold adjustment procedure in the Owner’s Manual (in Directions Of Use). DO NOT attempt to operate a vehicle without first setting the light threshold to your desired lighting condition. If the problem persists after changing the light threshold please use manual mode only and contact Customer Service.
26. The insert does not switch on/off when I push the button, regardless of what mode I’m in. What is happening?
More than likely the battery needs to be charged. Please use the supplied USB cable to charge the device. Also, be sure the button is securely connected to the insert. If this problem persists, please contact Customer Service.
CLEANING & CARE
27. How do I clean the Akari® insert?
Clean your insert with warm water, mild detergent, and a micro-fiber cloth. For stubborn residues, clean with a household glass cleaner. Do not use cleaners which contain moisturizers, abrasives, strong acids, or caustics. Do not immerse the visor or electronics in liquids as this may impact the function of the visor and the integrity of the mesh adhesive. Do not leave this product in direct sunlight when not in use. Doing so will degrade the longevity of your insert.
28. Is there anything special to do before storing the Akari® insert for aprolonged period of time?
Make sure the insert is properly covered to avoid dings, scratches, or any other relative damage. Batteries may be damaged if stored for prolonged periods without charging. AMI Powersports recommends fully recharging the battery every two months if storage will be longer than a month. The environmental temperature also affects the storage life of any battery. Cool environments are best.
29. Can I download the owner’s guide for the Akari® inserts?
Yes, it can be downloaded from the Download section at www.amipowersports.eu/download
30. What is the return/warranty policy for the Akari® inserts?
You may return your unopened or *malfunctioning insert for refund or exchange within thirty (30) days from the date of purchase. All Akari® products are backed by a limited warranty that covers material and craftsmanship defects for one (1) year from the date of purchase.
*Under normal use and conditions. Malfunctioning products are subject to evaluation to qualify for a refund/exchange.
31. How do I dispose of the insert?
Your Akari® insert must be disposed of properly according to local laws and regulations. Because this product contains a lithium battery, it must be disposed of separately from household waste. When your insert reaches the end of its life, contact local authorities to learn about recycling options.